Y’all. International Podcasting Day came and went, and this is the encore. I know I have a lot of friends who are into starting there own podcast, but are unsure of where to start. SO. I thought I would lay out some tips and tricks to give you some direction. Good luck!
So- What goes into making a Podcast? IT’S EASY(ISH):
- FIND YOUR VOICE: Do you have something to say? Define your goals and your mission.
- CHOOSE A NAME/PREMIS/FORMAT: Pick your name (make it unique!), set the initial premise (game show, interview style, parody, etc.), and set some basic structure to follow.
- SET REALISTIC GOALS: Will it be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly? When will you work on it? Schedule it into your life; make it your second job, and be committed.
- RECORDING EQUIPMENT: Get yourself a Mic (we first bought Blue Yeti- USB Mics, that plug straight into our laptop- totally recommend!), explore headphones/mixers/hard drive/storage/computer options. All you need is a Mic and a computer to start, but you can go deep on equipment if you wish to. (I recommend to start small and grow your vision and accessories)
- SOFTWARE: What will you record to/on? We use Audacity, which we totally recommend! It’s free and easy. IF you need to record with more than one Mic you need a work around though (it only supports one mic). You can check out Voiemeeter if you have a PC, or “pair mic’s” if you have a Mac (SO. EASY.)
- EDITING: If you use Audacity, I can recommend some simple edits that I use. (I researched a TON to learn Audacity, and these are the basic edits I learned, that are great to use)———->Editing the recording:Notes:
I = the select tool, and the < – > = time shift tool (move around audio pieces)
*When editing, you can isolate any section, and use the silence tool to remove sound completely
- Zoom in to intro silence/highlight:
-go to “Effect” -> “Noise Removal”, then click on “Get Noise Profile”
-Then, select the entire clip (zoom out if you need to)
-Go back to Effect -> Noise Removal -> Select PREVIEW for what it will sound like with the noise removed, then click OK if it is satisfactory
- Use “Cut tool” to remove the silence from the beginning.
- Normalize (-2.0)
-highlight the whole recording
-“Effects” -> “Normalize” -> enter -2.0
- Amplify the whole recording if necessary
- Compressor (reduces loud sounds/increases soft sounds)
-“Effects” -> “Compressor” -> Click preview for the Basic/default one -> Click apply if you like it
- Re normalize (-2.0)
- Reduce Silences by Ratio (See how to on Attachment)
- Listen to the content, adjust/cut as necessary
- Add in the Intro/Outro Music (Fade in/ Fade out) (Import Audio -> Cut the selection to however many seconds you need, and use the Move Selection tool to move it to front/end)
- When done, export as and MP3 (for MP3: select options and save atleast 64kbps)
- MUSIC: Make sure you pull music from a “pod-safe” website. You can also record music on Garage band, and be RIDICULOUS (which we’ve done recently/we’re still improving).
- HOST: You have to “Host” your episodes somewhere/generate an RSS feed- we recommend Libsyn, which we use. Starting at $5/month, it’s totally accessible! Look for a coupon code online, and get some free months to try it out!
- LISTING (WHERE DOES IT FEED TO?): ITunes is your #1. Set up on there, Stitcher, Google Play, Youtube, your own feed (on your website), SoundCloud, etc. There are so many choices, but Itunes is your main place for sure -> so start there!
- WEBSITE/SOCIAL MEDIA/ MARKETING/EXPOSURE, ETC.: Get a website (WordPress integrates RSS feeds well/easy!), grab your SM handles, and try and build a following/get some exposure.
- CONSISTENCY: Make a schedule, commit to it. If you tell your audience it’s bi-weekly, DO IT bi-weekly. Manage your own expectations, and others.
- BUILD AN AUDIENCE: Network, post on reddit, share on FB, find your audience, and cross promote where possible (easier said than done, for sure). At least get your friends to download 🙂
- KEEP GROWING/KEEP DEFINING WHAT’S WORKING AND WHAT’S NOT WORKING: Learn from your mistakes, and adjust!
- MERCH/OTHER ITEMS/SPONSORSHIP/NETWORK EXPLORATION:Figure out what’s next – and try to make some $$!
- START ANOTHER PODCAST!
So- that’s it in a nutshell BB’s! Let us know if you have any questions, but mostly dedicate hours of your life to getting it started. It’ll feel good. I promise.
Happy Podcasting BB’s!