In this episode we welcome Sarah, our bff and local Netflix binge addict, to analyze the first season of Stranger Things. We’re bringing you a hot plate of cackling shade with side orders of conspiracy theories, behind-the-scenes information and fan theories about the upcoming second season. Catch up with us before it goes live Halloween 2017!
Dissection and discussion includes:
- Netflix releases neither viewership nor budget information, but it’s probable that the first season of Stranger Things was produced for around 2 million dollars. One episode of Westworld cost half that amount.
- The Duffer Brothers wanted to create “a long movie written by Stephen King with music by John Carpenter.” Did they succeed?
- The soundtrack for Stranger Things was composed by Austin’s own S U R V I V E (Michael Stine, Adam Jones, Mark Donica and Kyle Dixon).
- Real-life conspiracy theories are the backbone of the plot of Stranger Things. Check out The Mantauk Project and MKUltra if you’re eager to mistrust any and all authority figures.
- Stranger Things has a set ending and will only be four seasons long.
- Though it’s only eight episodes long, the first seasons feels much longer because it’s so dense and packed with intricate characterization (see: the first and last scenes, especially).
- 80’s kid references add an extra layer of joy for anyone familiar with E.T., Stand By Me, The Goonies, JAWS, Alien, Predator or Nightmare on Elm Street.
- Is Eleven the Demogorgon? Is it part of her? Or maybe an earlier experiment?
- There will be at least four new supporting characters in Season 2 (including one played by SEAN AUSTIN!?).
- No, that is not Jean-Ralphio!
- Have you heard Millie Bobby Brown rap yet? She’s English, by the way (not Australian) and she’s going to be in the newest Godzilla remake.
- Can Barb come back…somehow? No? Please?! You can check her out in Riverdale if you’re one of the billions of Barb fans! RIP BB BARB!
Frasier is a touchstone of 90’s kid culture – you should rewatch it on Netflix or Amazon Prime if you wanna reconnect with your childhood.
Check out I am Pilgrim if you’re looking for an gritty, engaging read about murder, acid attacks and a seemingly unbeatable enemy.
Special guest shout out to fabulous dog trainer Kristin Reno! Check her out on social media if you’re looking for a dog trainer in the Austin area.
Check out Mic’s collected writings and anxieties on his super chill person blog or contact him on his profesh freelance blog if you’d like him to edit your work, be a beta reader or produce content for your business or website.
Check out our Facebook page and tell us what you thought!
And, of course, listen to the newest episodes from our RSS Feed!
Thanks for listening, BBs! We loooooove yoooou!