Do you have a book lover in your life itching for a thoughtful tome this holiday season? Are you overwhelmed by choices and not sure where to turn? We got you. There are literally thousands of books that came out this year, but we’ve narrowed it down to our “Top 5” (plus some runner ups!)
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders:
This 2017 Man Booker prize winner draws on the seeds of historical truth, to weave a tale of familial love, historical happenings and a supernatural world. President Lincoln’s son Willie finds himself in the bardo after his death, and we find ourselves on his journey.
- Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks:
These 17 heartwarming stories prove that this two-time oscar winner can do it all! From stories of hope, to romance, to changing times, these stories explore the human condition and is a perfect fit for that loved one’s stocking.
3.La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust) by Philip Pullman:
This long awaited follow up to the “His Dark Materials” series has fans excited this year. “The Book of Dust” is neither a sequel or a prequel, but an equal. Join Malcolm as he explores the history of dust, and see how his journey affects Lyra & her Oxford.
4.Turtles All the Way Down by John Greene:
Written by the author of “A Fault in Our Stars” and “Looking for Alaska,” “Turtles all The Way Down” explores the ever-racing mind of a teen as she sleuths to find the mystery of a fugitive billionaire. This book is perfect for the YA lover in your life.
5.The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman:
This prequel to Practical Magic is a wonderful witchy gift for the fantasy lover in your life. For the Owens family, love is curse, and Susanna Owens must raise her children by a strict set of rules, to avoid suspicion in the world. How do they manage it all? Keeping history and magic a secret is a tough gig.
Okay, okay- we know; those are definitely not the only great books to come out of 2017, but how can you narrow it down?! Check out these 20 Runner Ups that are definitely worth your time too! Let us know in the comments what you love from this year, and what you’re looking forward to in the coming year!
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
- The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin
- Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
- Artemis by Andy Weir
- Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
- Origin by Dan Brown
- Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Camino Island by John Grisham
- The Lying Game by Ruth Ware
- Renegades by Marissa Meyer
- What Happened by Hillary Clinton
- The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman
- The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur
- Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
- Theft by Finding by David Sedaris
- The Midnight Line: a Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child
- Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
- Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
- How to be a Bawse by Lilly Singh
Keep reading, writing and being awesome!
Originally posted on GoRead.com