If there is one thing I can definitely say about my 2017, it’s absolutely, unequivocally a reference to “Minor Inconveniences.” At every turn they were always there for me, depleting my motivation, igniting my apathy, and annoying the shit out of me. But, even still, all I can think about is how in the hell it’s already 2018?
Like, literally, where did the year go? A lot has happened, but also the second half of the year ended up only being three weeks instead of the pre-scheduled six months we were all counting on. It’s been a crazy year, for sure, and I know we are all reeling from the political climate, rising despair across the planet and insane natural disasters that have devastated many communities this year.
Naturally the turning of a calendar, the revolution around the sun, welcomes some introspection for us. What happened in my little microcosm? Well, quite a lot actually.
- I gained some weight. Not too bad, but for sure my clothes are like DAMN GIRL.
- I bummed my knee. It had been bummed for a while, but I actually got to the root of it — tendonitis. So, that’s been a shit show. I’ve been trying to redefine my posture, the way I sit and the amount of exercise it can take. Hoping to actually make an improvement in the new year!
- Aaron turned 30 this year! And, in honor of that moments occasion, I took him on a surprise trip toooooooo….
- THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER. If I had an actual bucket list, this would have become a giant check mark. When we walked around the corner and I saw Hogwarts for the first time, I literally teared up. It was amazing. Also, turns out February is the best time to visit this theme park: lines were non-existent. We rode every ride we wanted in the park between 1-4 times. So, yeah, we adulted pretty hard. Highlight of the trip: Getting drunk and wand shopping. Being an adult is pretty alright sometimes.
- I went back to California for the third and final year of attending food shows with Kerbey Lane Cafe. Anaheim, you’re aight.
- I STARTED A PODCAST. I don’t tend to make very many New Year’s Resolutions, but this was a big plan that I had roped Mic into doing with me. AND IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. This took a lot of time, energy and magic to get off the ground, but one year later it’s one of the biggest things I’ve ever done.
- Checkers died in March. It was a really hard time, and a first for me and Aaron. We had 3+ loving years with our sweet (but extremely grumpy and temperamental) old man. We wouldn’t trade anything for the time we had together. Scoop hasn’t been the same without him, but everyday gets a little easier.
- We went to Atlanta to see Brittany graduate with her masters in May! So proud of my best friend of (nearly) two decades! She’s taking the world by storm, and I can’t wait to see where she goes.
- Then, we went to Destin, Florida with a bunch of friends! We rented an awesome beach house, drank too much, ate too many fried shrimp, and I discovered Chop. I REGRET NOTHING!
- THEN, I started a new job (literally as soon as we got back). After 4.5 years with Kerbey Lane Cafe, I snagged a job doing Marketing/Media/and all things Books. Basically it was an amazing fit for me, and getting that opportunity has helped me grow so much as a person. I’ve learned a lot about who I am, what I want (and don’t want), and developed many interpersonal and business skills along the way.
- I got a new car AND the laptop I’ve been wanting! I adulted so hard around the middle of the year, and made some large, worthwhile investments.
- We redecorated our dining room/kitchen. Sounds small, but it has made a huge difference! We’ve been in a funk with our house, and have really needed to make some changes….2018, look out, cuz we be making plans!
- We took a family trip camping at Lost Maples & to Fredericksburg. Scoop had a love hate relationship with the whole ordeal, but it was pretty lovely.
- Three sets of friends got married: Andrew & Kaley, Jamie & Sam, Catie & Michael
- We became Godparents! Brittany + Cooper welcomed Baby Emi into their lives this July, and she stole our hearts immediately.
- We went back to ATL to meet baby Emi, and got stranded by Hurricane Irma! No worries though: we were stranded, but well loved and had a lovely extended stay with the FVR’s and sweet Julie (WHO IS PREGNANT WITH LITTLE BABY GEORGIA, BUT SPELLED THE ITALIAN WAY, I’M KINDA FREAKING OUT.)
- My dad, sister & my two nephews came to visit this Summer. Synopsis: WE HAD A BLAST! Got to take them to the greenbelt, some of our favorite restaurants and got in a lot of quality time. Can’t wait to see them again (hopefully here in ATX, because I find that easier, more enjoyable, and far less stressful)
- I turned 29, and I’m feeling fine! I’ve never been too concerned with getting older, but I am finally feeling it….which is an interesting place to be.
- I failed at NaNoWriMo. Only finished around 10,000 words.
- BUT, I started a few new writing projects I want to recommit to!
- I started this website! I wanted to consolidate all of my creative endeavors & writings into one place. I brainstormed with my “council” and made shit happen fast. Voila! Here she is. I think she’s pretty darn cute.
- I watched A LOT of movies. Some of my favorites from this year were: Get Out, Spiderman Homecoming, The Big Sick, Atomic Blonde, Baby Driver, Wonder Woman, and Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi.
- Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi came out. (this deserves it’s own post)
- I read 18 books this year!
- I did NOT read the 50 other books I wanted to, including Philip Pullman’s “The Book of Dust”
- I binged a lot of Television (thoroughly enjoyed Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Big Little Lies, Jane the Virgin, and so many more!)
- A made a few new great friends, that I think I’ll be keeping for forever.
- In a nutshell, I had a year. It was full of up’s, and down’s, stress, anxiety, peppered with loving moments. I have a lot of aspirations for 2018, and am actually thinking of setting some pretty serious goals I’d like to stick to this year. Aaron and I have grown up a lot throughout 2017, and we are ready to clear a new path together. We want 2018 to be a marvelous year, and we want to make a bang.
So, cheers to recapping your year (the good, the bad, the ugly), and Cheers to 2018: may your intentions be set, your smiles be large, and your celebrations be long.
Happy New Year!
2 Replies to “2017: The Year of Minor Inconveniences”
Enjoyed your post.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much!